Sunday, September 17, 2006

Bob Marley and Neil Young in Boston?

How is this possible? Well, for two nights the Bank of America Pavilion was lit up with the colors of the Reggae Nation. Ben Harper took over the shores of Boston for two nights with Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley in support.
The first night found me by my lonesome six rows in front of Ben himself. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I almost didn't make it to the show. I had been running around town doing various things when fatigue finally set in. Work (internet surfing), some errands, and the gym had apparently done a number on me. I came home and started whining to my roommate while nearly falling asleep on her shoulder or in her bed...I can't remember, I was out of it. My whole theory was "Oh, well I'm going tomorrow, too." After some self-induced coaxing I finally got ready and was out the door!

Walking into the pavilion, half comatosed, I headed straight for one of the many beer tents. I figured I could use a little pick me up. Once fulfilled I headed down to my seat. Well, If Damian Marley is good for one thing, it sure is waking your ass up and making you pay attention. As soon as I found my seat I was blown away by the bass and rhythm of his set. The highlight for me was hearing a reworked version of his dad's classic "Exodus." As the Marley Clan walked off stage I walked right back to the beer tents. I had a feeling this was going to be a good night.

While at the tents this extremely pleasant looking older woman approached me and asked me if I was busy. What gave me away as not being busy - the fact that I was sitting in the faux garden with beer in tow as I was texting someone about the show? She asked me if it would be all right if I bought her a beer. The first thing that came to my mind was, "Is this lady hitting on me by making me buy her a beer?" Then I knew I wasn't that lucky and my tune soon changed to, "Is this lady using me?" Turns out that she didn't have her ID with her and they wouldn't sell her beer regardless of the fact that she looked well over 21. I will say this, though, she did look pretty damn good. She was there with her son and a few friends that she hadn't yet met up with.

After we got our beers (yup, she bought me another one, what a sweetheart) I had to help direct them to their seats. Luckily enough for all involved they were sitting in the same row as I was. Their friends were two rows behind us. They jockeyed their seats with those around us to sit next to me. We had a great time and her friends kept buying beers for the lot of us. Good times were had by all!

Ben Harper's set was filled with a variety of older material and some new cuts (from Both Sides of the Gun). Surprisingly enough they even pulled out a cover of Neil Young's "Heart of Gold." The highlight for me was the solo acoustic set he played as the setbreak. I really like the new structure of his concerts. Two large sets with a solo acoustic set in the middle and usually 1-2 encore appearances. It is very similar to Trey Anastasio's structure. Oh, Trey, I can't wait to see him in a month! Ok, back on track...actually there was an even bigger highlight for the first night. For the second set closer Damian and friends came on stage and performed a collaborative version of another one of dad's triumphs - "Get Up, Stand Up." It was an extremely moving experience that left everyone yearning for more.

After some hugs and handshakes from my new friends I left the venue and headed back home. You ever hear someone say "I was out before my head hit the pillow (or something close to that)?" Well, on this night that was me! I was spent!

Night #2 saw more of the same – good vibes, good times, and good people. This time around I didn’t fly solo. To my delight I had a mini-crew with me. I had coerced a group of friends to go to the show. One of my more outspoken friends even managed to add to the number of the crew while on the “T.” Did I mention that the new addition was my dream girl? She was a professional dancer (company dancer, not stripper – no poles!) from Brazil. She quickly made friends with the group and even told me I was a good dancer. She told me I could really move my hips (patting myself on back, blushing)! This could be complete BS but she did seem sincere. Unfortunately I will never be as a good of a dancer as needed to become a full-fledged member of the “Dance Party Crew!” I promise, no, I vow, to keep trying!

You can go here to check out setlists, reviews, and photos from the two-night run at the Bank One Pavilion.

After the concert we trudged to the Bell In Hand Tavern in Boston. We met up with another group of our friends and the dancing and debauchery quickly ensued. I think there is an unwritten pact we abide by every time we enter the Bell In Hand – we must drink Boston! We did our best. One friend in particular took this pact to heart and ended up throwing up in her purse on the cab ride home. To those that don’t know, if you throw up in a cab in Boston the drivers have no shame kicking you out of the cab and onto the street. Apparently she kept it together long enough to make it back to my house and sleep in my bed – how the hell did I get screwed in all of this!?! At least her boyfriend was sober enough to take care of her – wait a minute, nope, he was done for, too!

I have a lot of catching up to do for this blog. I have some other things to write about that are almost OBE (Overcome By Events to the lay person). So expect some fast-paced blogging! I am also going to post some picture blogs as well. I will need to give my deft little fingers a break after I catch up!

So, to Angie - thanks for the company, beer, and the creation of a new fantasy I will have about older women. Chris - good luck in school. Danielle, my dream girl, I'll miss you! To you all - goodnight! GO SEE LIVE MUSIC!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...you really do use "OBE"...

11:52 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

rdejBrady, I must correct you on one thing. While you are correct in saying that cabbies here in Boston have no problem with kicking you out on the street into traffic if you just spewed in their cab but you forgot to tell about the part where they take you to a gas station, make you hose down the cab and THEN proceed to kick you onto the streets! Trust me, I know! Actually I should say Dot knows, I have absolutely no clue!

1:51 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Brady, I must correct you on one thing. While you are correct in saying that cabbies here in Boston have no problem with kicking you out on the street into traffic if you just spewed in their cab but you forgot to tell about the part where they take you to a gas station, make you hose down the cab and THEN proceed to kick you onto the streets! Trust me, I know! Actually I should say Dot knows, I have absolutely no clue!

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home