Wednesday, August 23, 2006

From Cloud 9 to 6 Feet Below...


Before I revisit my Cleveland experience I need to vent a little…my ass is going to be homeless! I thought I was moving into the perfect situation – 3 roommates, all friends, extremely cheap rent, house parties, etc. I was wrong! I moved into the “Waverly House” three months ago. It was a bit of a downgrade considering I was coming from a 2 bedroom in Cambridge right next to Harvard on the Charles River. More importantly I was living alone. It was a great location in between Harvard and Central Square – I loved it! It was hard to give the place up, but I was done paying insane amounts of money just to live there and I thought it might be nice to add a little chaos back into my life. Plus, the 3:00am drive-by drug deals were wearing on my sleeping habits. Ok, I sleep like a rock, but I still heard those guys with their ghetto blasters bouncing in and out of the neighborhood. So, with the prospect of saving a ton of money and being with friends, I decided to move.

As my reward I now get to spend every waking minute searching for my next destination. I will admit, it is kind of fun. I look forward to moving out of the closet I now sleep in and back into a much larger venue! Hopefully the majority of the roommates decide to stick together. Before notified of our impending doom, one of the roommates decided to take his relationship to the next level with his girlfriend of a couple years (another one of my good friends). They bought a place and will be moved in by the end of the month. In order to keep the rent down we were planning on replacing him with another friend of the Waverly House. Now we are all homeless and looking together. Hopefully we can find a place and keep the good times rolling for a while longer!

Looking for apartments online is like trying to find the female G-spot – for the longest time you think you have found it and then you get the look from your partner like, “Yup, you’re an idiot,” or, ”no really, it feels good.” One minute you are standing on the summit of Everest (hands placed on hips, one leg up, chin in air) – invincible, proud, strong – the next you are climbing out of a crevasse mumbling “I thought the line would hold!” You right-click through endless websites, scouring each and every listing; some good, some not so good. What I don’t get is why people post pictures of these places that look like dumps, better yet sweatshops, and try to explain how this particular Victorian has great charm, amazing views, excellent trim, and beaming hardwood floors. What I have learned to do is read between the lines – for example, great charm means the house is 200 years old, slants to the left, and has pink wallpaper. Amazing views means that you are in full view of the ghetto across the street and can catch the weekly mugging from the comfort of your front porch. Excellent trim and beaming hardwood floors is merely a ploy to get your attention away from the closet-esque sized bedrooms, one bathroom, and coin-op laundry in the dungeon that would be your basement.

Not only do I have to look for a place in Boston, but I also have to look for a place in Denver. The difference is that I am looking for a place to buy in Denver. I need the mountains, the snowboarding, the music, and the people. I have been gone far too long and need to be back there permanently! As of right now I am looking to buy a loft in the LoDo District. I love the area and hope to be back soon! My best friend and his wife are moving back to Colorado – so good times are not that far down the road – the Rockpile, Fillmore, Sancho’s, Red Rocks, Morrison Inn, Boulder, Breck, Aspen, Keystone – I can’t wait!

Oh, I just found a 4 bedroom in a great location with everything the roommates could want! Back to right-clicking - DAMN!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot believe you are going to move to Denver. We are definitely broken up this time, for real. No take backs!

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home